ODC Assistant Production Manager
San Francisco, California, USA
18 - Any
Hours/Wk (min): 40
Expires: Open Ended
Assistant Production Manager
Status: Full-time, non-exempt
Reports to: Production Manager
ODC is a groundbreaking contemporary arts institution, boasting a world class dance company, a state-of-the-art presenting theater, and a dance school for students of all ages. Guided by Founder and Artistic Director Brenda Way, Co-Artistic Director KT Nelson, and Choreographer/ODC School Director Kimi Okada, ODC is nationally recognized for its entrepreneurial spirit and artistic innovation. Unique for its fully integrated vision, ODC strives to inspire audiences, cultivate artists, engage community, and foster diversity and inclusion through dance performance, training and mentorship. ODC operates a two-building campus consisting of a Dance Commons and the ODC Theater in San Francisco’s Mission District. ODC’s programs and activities have contributed to community development, arts education, and access to creative art-making for 46 years. The 2017 operating budget is approximately $6 Million.
The Assistant Production Manager (APM) supports all production needs for ODC’s Company, School and Theater alongside fellow production and facilities staff. Responsibilities include providing studio and theater support for rehearsals and performances; handling Company tour logistics; producing, updating and disseminating schedules and related materials; pulling together wardrobe items and props; assisting with all aspects of live performance production, and providing occasional support to facilities staff. The APM interacts with ODC choreographers, the Company Manager, internal departments, guest artists and related contractors, and tour presenters.
• Assist Production Manager with advancing tour dates: contacting venues, acquiring technical packets, sending technical riders, confirming crew calls at venues, researching ground/air travel and housing needs, making reservations, representing Production Manager and ODC Dance to venues, vendors, collaborating artists, etc.
• Support Choreographers and Dancers in rehearsal: e.g., bring in props and costumes, tape floor, document rehearsals and run-throughs, copy music or video, coordinating dancer shoe orders for rehearsals/performances
• Communicate with Choreographers, Company Manager and Production Manager regarding production needs, budget, schedules and deadlines
• Work with Wardrobe Supervisor to coordinate costume fittings and other wardrobe needs
• Assume roles of Production Manager, Company Manager, Assistant Stage Manager and Wardrobe crew member as needed
• Maintain Company calendar with relevant production deadlines and events
• Maintain Production archives, such as: lighting documentation, costume inventories and photos, digital show files and any other pertinent documentation
• Acquire, buy, rent, alter, repair, maintain, clean, store and archive all ODC/Dance costumes/props along with Production Manager and Wardrobe Supervisor
• Prepare paperwork and advance notes for tours not requiring ODC Wardrobe Supervisor
• Coordinate Wardrobe Assistants and/or venue provided wardrobe crew members;
• Travel with ODC Dance Company on tour as needed
• Other responsibilities as needed and directed by Production Manager, e.g. Theater, Facility & Storage organization, transporting scenery and wardrobe by car/truck.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
• Experience working in live performing arts, preferably in dance or theater
• Arts management and touring experience preferred
• Must be organized, detail-oriented and possess excellent time-management skills; flexible and able to manage multiple and changing priorities
• Flexible with a theater-oriented work schedule, including weekend and evening work plus occasional extended hours; willing to work overtime when required
• Working knowledge of technical theater equipment and practices
• Working knowledge of wardrobe maintenance, cleaning, sewing techniques and equipment.
• Excellent communications skills; fluent in English
• Proficient in Google Calendar, Word, Excel, and Outlook; Computer Aided Drafting (CAD) skills appreciated
• Ability to work and interact well with individuals from various backgrounds in a culturally diverse, fast-paced, team-oriented environment
• Must possess valid driver’s license; comfort and/or experience driving a Box Truck preferred
• Must be able to lift 50lbs.
• Must be over 18 years of age and eligible to work in the U.S.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Non-profit salary, commensurate with experience. As a dance organization committed to physical wellbeing, ODC’s benefits package currently includes health, vision and dental coverage for full-time employees, two weeks paid vacation, sick leave, free dance classes, and a dynamic work environment.
HOW TO APPLY
Please email resume, cover letter, salary requirements, and the names and contact information of three professional references. Submissions that do not include all items will not be considered. No phone calls please.
Principals only. Recruiters, please do not contact this job poster. Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
ODC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Last Active: 2017-06-30