Downers Grove Park District
Downers Grove, Illinois, USA
Ballroom: American Rhythm, American Smooth, International Latin, International Standard, Social Ballroom, Theatre Arts, Vintage
Club: Argentine Tango, Cajun/Zydeco, Country/Western, Hustle, Line Dancing (C/W), Line Dancing (General), Salsa
Concert: Ballet, Bollywood, Broadway, Contemporary, Jazz, Lyrical, Modern, Tap
Hip-Hop: Breaking, Jerkin, Krumping, Locking, Popping, Turfing
Swing: Balboa/BalSwing, Blues, Carolina Shag, East Coast Swing, Hand Dancing, Lindy Hop, Modern Jive (Ceroc), Rock-n-Roll, West Coast Swing
Folk: African, Armenian, Austrian, Balkan, Brazilian, Cambodian, Canadian, Chinese, Clogging, Contra, Dances of Universal Peace, Dutch, English Country, English Ritual (Morris), French, Georgian, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indian, International Folk, Irish, Israeli, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latin/Flamenco, Mexican/Aztec, Middle Eastern Belly Dance, Native American Indian, Philippine, Polish, Polynesian/Hawaiian, Puerto Rican, Round/Sequence/New Vogue, Scandinavian, Scottish (Highland), Set, Spanish, Square, Turkish
The Downers Grove Park District offers dance classes for all ages, from parent & tot to elementary ages to adults. Reporting to the Recreation Supervisor of Cultural Arts, the Dance Instructor will demonstrate safe and proper technique, develop age appropriate curriculum, and choose appropriate costumes, songs and choreography for the annual Spring Recital, as well as potential smaller performances throughout the year.
Our current dance classes primarily focus on tap, ballet, jazz and hip hop for pre-school through elementary-school aged children; however, we are interested in dance instructors looking to teach any audience/age group, and in just about any style of dance!
Pay rate: Starting at $18.00/hour, higher rates available depending on experience
• Part-time; variable. Flexible schedule based on staff availability.
• Winter (Feb-Mar) hours would be substituting as needed for existing dance classes, or Instructor may work with the Recreation Supervisor to launch partial-season classes for the remainder of Winter, depending on date of hire. Instructor will work with the Recreation Supervisor to develop a class schedule for Spring (non-recital), Summer and Fall.
• There may be additional hours for meetings, training, or special events
• Responsible for the supervision and safety of the students at all times
• Responsible for instructing students with enthusiasm, creativity, and ability to adapt to student learning styles
• Planning of lessons and curriculum for each session
• Properly demonstrate dance moves, techniques and choreography
• Recital Duties (applicable only to recital level classes)
• Select music, costumes and attire appropriate for students in class and recital by deadlines set
• Choreograph combinations, correct mistakes and create routines for performance at the recital for recital level classes
• Must attend dress rehearsal and recital and actively help plan for its success
• Represents the Park District to parents, students and guests and conducts him/herself with professionalism and courtesy
• Take proper attendance and report excessive absences to the Recreation Supervisor
• Maintains courteous and effective communication between staff, participants and parents
• Maintain a neat and orderly work environment including dance rooms and storage
• Attends staff meetings and training, as scheduled by the Recreation Supervisor
• Follows District’s Safety Policies
• Prior experience in multiple genres/disciplines of dance
• Prior experience teaching dance to students with a broad range of abilities and backgrounds
• Must be able to understand the needs and issues of staff, parents and children, and communicate and provide information to meet these needs
• Experience in rehearsing and directing performances preferred
• Previous experience working with children in a park district setting preferred
• CPR, First Aid and AED certification is required or willingness to obtain. The Park District provides training
The Downers Grove Park District is an EOE (M/F/Vet/Disability/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation).
To apply please visit www.dgparks.org/careers-opportunities