Associate Artistic Director
Summers Academy of Dance
Crystal Lake, Illinois, USA
Hours/Wk (min): 25
2016-02-01 to 2017-01-04
Expires: Open Ended
Concert: Ballet, Contemporary, Jazz, Lyrical, Modern
The Summers Academy of Dance, a 20 year old Dance Center located in Crystal Lake, Illinois, and Home to the Not-for-Profit Berkshire Ballet Theatre (a semi professional dance company) is seeking to hire an experienced Dance Professional to fill our Associate Artistic Director position.
The Associate Artistic Director will work directly with the Artistic Director to maintain the vision of the Dance Companies and the Executive Director in guiding and directing the organization overall. The Dance Center is just minutes away from the Crystal Lake Metra Union Pacific/NW Train Station, and roughly 45 minutes from O'Hare Airport – centrally located in McHenry County.
Working in a 4000+ square foot state-of-the art Dance Center offering a very broad dance curriculum including Ballet, Lyrical, Modern, Contemporary dance genres, Hip Hop & Aerial Dance Silks for all ages this position will provide full exposure to a "complete" dance program and life experience.
The Berkshire Ballet Theatre in conjunction with the Summers Academy of Dance has been contracted to perform the Nutcracker at the historical Raue Center for the Arts in Crystal Lake for the last Nine (9) years, and will do so again this coming December, 2016. The BBT has also performed other Classical Ballets (e.g., Cinderella - March, 2015, Coppelia, Giselle, etc.) over the years at the Raue and as special guest performers at other venues.
The Associate Artistic Director would work in concert with all Dance Center Staff to meet our Mission Statement in which our key objective is to assist students in developing scholastic aptitude and excel in life by providing excellent education through various forms of dance and performing arts while quickly becoming an integral team member (dance family).
Job Position (25+ Hours/Week Annual Average) – Associate Artistic Director
• Work directly with the Artistic Director and Executive Director to maintain the vision of the performing companies (to include the Berkshire Ballet Theatre – semi professional dance company and Starr Dancers – preparatory dance company).
• Maintain appropriate lesson plans, along with short-term and long-term goals and a daily teaching schedule.
• Choreograph all major dance productions and prepare and manage (control/oversee/expedite) a realistic and attainable rehearsal schedule for each venue.
• Coordinate productions by Supervising Costuming Teams, Production Teams, and communicate with the Artistic Director, Studio Manager, and other Faculty.
• Team Player willing to learn all aspects of our Dance Center's Operations.
• Contribute ideas and suggestions to raise the level of dance and performance skills, as needed.
• Strong background and very clearly educated in Classical Ballet, Pedagogy, and Choreography with demonstrable experience in multiple disciplines of dance.
• Candidates should have Five (5+) Years of teaching experience, specifically Ballet, Pointe, Lyrical, Jazz & Contemporary (desired) with the innate ability to educate and inspire student dancers.
• Can clearly show their proven experience (Administrative & Planning Skills) in providing leadership role in developing dance curriculum(s).
• Is an experienced Choreographer (has a dance performance portfolio showing dance choreography pieces, productions, etc.)
• Can perform, demonstrate and teach the correct technique with the ability to “connect” with a wide variety of students having varied ability levels within multiple dance disciplines.
1. Extensive training and knowledge in Classical Ballet (Vaganova preferred, but not required) Pointe and Classical Ballet Repertoire.
2. Substantial working knowledge in Lyrical, Contemporary, and Jazz.
3. General Tap knowledge not required, but preferable
• Has the ability to choreograph and coordinate multiple performance venues simultaneously in order to meet production dates.
BFA/BA, BS, MFA in Dance, preferable
See www.SummersAcademyofDance.com - for additional information on the Dance Center, BBT, and the Dance Program in General.
Last Active: 2018-12-21